Module 3 Music
1. be (deeply) impressed with/by…
2. split up
3. make a note of
4. become/be known/famous as…/for…
5. change… into…
6. music instruments
7. of all time
8. something wonderful
9. the rest of his life
10. go deaf
11. No way!
12. at an early age
13. a leading/top composer
14. receive many prizes
15. play the violin/piano
16. have talent for…
17. show talent for a talented musician
18. lose interest in…
be/get lost=lose sb’s way
be lost in thought
19. mix… with…
20. have a deep influence/effect on…
21. encourage sb to do
22. as well as①和;同;以及
② 除……之外=besides或 in addition to
23. As time goes by/on …
24. Joseph Hayden was an Austrian composer and is known as “the father of the symphony”.
25. Having worked there for 30 years, Hayden moved to London, where he was very successful.
26. By the time he was 14, Mozart had composed many pieces for the piano and violin, as well as for orchestras.
27. While he was still a teenager, Mozart was already a big star and toured Europe giving concerts.
28. Hayden met Mozart in 1781 and was impressed with him.
29. However, it was Hayden that/who encouraged Beethoven to move to Vienna.
30. As he grew older, he began to go deaf.
31. Yexiaogang, who was born in 1955, is one of a group of Chinese composers known as the New Tide.
32. He showed musical ability at an early age and began studying piano when he was four years old.
33. After graduation, he worked there as a lecturer.
34. They lost heart. Lost in thought, he didn’t see me.
35. Tom as well as his friends has left.
Tom besides his friends has left.
Tom has left. His friends have left as well.
36. I hurried to the concert, (only) to find the star had left.
37. I hurried to the concert, only to be told the star had left.
38. It was the first time that I had seen him.
39. I had hoped/thought/planned to see a film, but I had an unexpected visitor.
40. Hardly had I arrived home when the phone rang.
41. No sooner had I arrived home than the phone rang.
42. By the end of last term, we had learned 200 Chinese characters.
43. The storm struck/hit our city, causing great damage.
44. Having caused great damage, the storm left.
45. I often sing as I walk along.